Saturday, March 10, 2007

QotW6: Be Careful Kids!

Privacy is the ability of an individual or group to keep their lives and personal affairs out of public view, or to control the flow of information about themselves. (Privacy, 2007)

How does one maintain privacy online?

Perhaps revealing small amounts of personal information to strangers. Sometimes you are not even aware that you are revealing so much of yourself to others. The culture of revelation has enforced the need to expose oneself.

Rosen (2004) stated that, it's impossible to know someone on the basis of snippets of information; genuine knowledge is something that can only be achieved slowly, over time, behind a shield of privacy. There are instances whereby people feel as if they know the other well enough, even if it is through a computer-mediated communication. Reading someone's blog regularly provide the reader a sense of knowlegde about that individual. Especially through their entries on daily happenings and their views on various topics.

I have been wary when it comes to revealing my true identity online. Mainly because I am a private person by nature. I adopt several pseudonyms for different purposes. Why? I still do not know why. I guess, it is the cynical side of me that is on defense mode. I have read and come across too many instances of invasion of privacy. Leaking of personal photographs, home videos being posted online. The content does not really matter here. The thing is, when this happens it is as though someone has taken your possession and claim it as their own. I shudder to think of such things happening to me.

As an avid online shopper, I deal with online banking all the time. It has come to a point where I am so comfortable at dealing with daily transactions that sometimes I don't really check for proof of authenticity. During Ian Loe's talk about phishing and pharming, my blood froze. A couple of days back, I received an e-mail from Ebay asking for reconfirmation. The e-mail mentioned that the are updating their system and that they will be needing my credit card information. I went to check the site out. It seemed 'authentic' at first but I soon realise that the e-mail was in my spam folder. Before I clicked anything, I noticed that my personal information was listed on the page. Although I did not provide them with my credit card number, I wondered if whoever it was that send me the e-mail saw my details and kept it. I have taken measures to safeguard my online accounts though.

Sullivan (2006) mentioned that someday a stranger will read your e-mail, rummage through your instant messages without your permission or scan the Web sites you’ve visited — maybe even find out that you read this story. Perhaps it is happening without our knowledge. Now, that's scary.

References

Privacy. (2007, March 9). In Wikipedia, The Free Encyclopedia. Retrieved 17.25, March 9, 2007, from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Privacy

Rosen, J. (2004). The Naked Crowd. Retrieved March 8, 2007, from http://www.spiked-online.com/Printable/0000000CA5FF.htm

Sullivan, B. (2006). Privacy Lost: Does Anyone Care?. Retrieved March 9, 2007, from http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/15221095/print/1/displaymode/1098/

No comments: